How long does it trek to Annapurna Base Camp ?
There are 2 itineraries for Annapurna base camp, depend on your choice if you like to go long trail via Ghorepani poonhill it takes 10 days from Pokhara and if you want short trip then you can go directly from Birethati to Chhomrung Village which is 7 days trekking from Pokhara. It is worth to visit Ghorepani and Poonhill during Annapurna Base Camp itinerary. Poonhill is a best photographer point where you can see the golden sunrise view and Panoramic Himalayan beauty of Annapurna, Dhaulagiri, Machhapurche, Nilgiri and other snow-capped peaks.
Who can join Annapurna Base camp trek ?
Annapurna base camp trekking is an easy trail and suitable for all kind of travelers. If you are looking first time adventure in Nepal then ABC is the first choice. If you can walk 4/5 hours in a day on steep hillside, then you can easily reach Annapurna base camp. However walking in country side, you should have good health and pre-exercise is recommended like swimming, running, cycling and etc.
Is it better to go in spring or fall and what is the weather different ?
The spring season start with cold and gets warmer whereas fall season start with warm and gets cold. Both season can see significant mountains views and weather is clear. In general skies are clearer in fall thus mountains are clearer in this seasons. It is very common to experience the rain in both season below 2500 meter altitude.
What kind of gear do you need for Annapurna base camp trek ?
Normally equipment and clothing are individual’s choice. However, you are going to 4130 meter altitude so you should have carry warm and enough clothes to survive in cold weather. Following is the general gear list!
- Toilet paper, biodegradable
- 1 liter of water with Gatorade in a Camelback since it is not freezing but also bring a Nalgene bottle
- Steri Pen for purifying stream water
- Synthetic or nylon top and pants, no cotton
- Comfortable low top boots that are not too heavy, no need for heavy leather boots
- Bandanna for nose and head wipes – you will be surprised!
- Headlamp in case you get caught after dark – it happens
- Trekking poles
- Warm jacket for surprise wind or snow storm, preferably with a hood
- Knit cap and a ball cap
- Gloves, one thin for sun protection and another for warmth
- Rain jacket (lightweight)
- Sunglasses (100% UV), sunscreen, lip Baum
- A few bars of trail food
- Along the trail and for snoring roommates. I like the shuffle without a hard disc so it will work at altitude and the battery last longer.
- A clean, dry shirt and socks to change into once arriving at the teahouse while waiting for your duffle to arrive
- Camera (optional)
What about the communication during the trekking ?
Mobile phone is working most part of the ABC trekking. In lower parts of trekking guesthouses offer wifi internet. We recommended to buy a Nepali Simcard of NTC or Ncell which have extensive network in Nepal.
How do you recharge batteries ?
In lower part of the trekking electricity is available and upper part after Chhomrung Village teahouses offer solar power to charge the batteries. However if there is cloudy for long time it might be problem. So, always better to carry extra batteries or power bank to recharge your batteries.
What are the condition of guesthouse during the trek ?
There are pretty good teahouse in Annapurna Base Camp. If you are not with low cost guide service – they pick the old the houses. The better service book trekkers in solid teahouses which are clean, safe and offer delicious foods. Teahouses offer blanket for the nights but in peak season blankets might not be cleaned so we always recommended to carry your own sleeping bag. If you don’t have your own then we are here for you conveniences.
Is it possible to climb a mountain during Annapurna Base Camp trekking ?
Along with the trekking if you love mountaineering then you can combine Himchuli Peak or tent peak climbing during Annapurna base camp trekking. To climb these peak you should have climbing permit. They are not consider a normal trekking Itinerary.